Date: October 6th, 2011
Categories: E-Business Suite
Recently I received a request to develop a custom interface to update the salaries of approximately 1000 employees. My response was, “why re-invent the wheel”? Several Web ADI Integrators are delivered out of the box including the HR Update Salary Proposals Integrator.
The HRMS Web ADI Integrators are extremely powerful as long as you know how to use them. They can be tricky to setup since they are dependent on the settings of the browser and the security settings within Excel, however within 10 minutes I was able to get the users up and running and updating salaries for their end of year merit increases. Within a few hours, they had entered and updated the salaries for all of their employees.
Here is a quick summary of the required setups and steps to utilize the HR Update Salary Proposals Integrator:
Update Security settings in Excel (Excel 2010)
- Select File then Options
- Select Trust Center. Then click ‘Trust Center Setting’ button
- Select Macro Settings. Select ‘Disable all macros with notification’.
- Select ‘Trust Access to VBA project object model
- Click ‘OK’ button to close the ‘Trust Center’ window
- Click the ‘OK’ button to close the ‘Excel Options’ window.
Update browser settings
- Open the ‘Internet Options’ window from your browser
- Select the ‘Security’ Tab
- Select the ‘Trusted Sites’ zone. Click ‘Custom Level’ button.
- Under the ‘Downloads’ section, enable ‘File Download’
- Under ‘Scripting’ section, enable ‘Allow status bar updates via script’
- Under the ‘ActiveX controls and plug-ins’ section, set ‘Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked safe for scripting’ to ‘Prompt’
Grant Access to the Integrator
- Add the ‘HR ADI Seeded Integrator Form Functions’ menu to the desired HRMS responsibility without a prompt to enable the integrators from within the forms.
Download Integrator Template
Once you have completed all the required setup, you first need to download the Update Salary Proposals Integrator along with all the employees.
- Log on to Oracle and navigate to the HRMS responsibility to which you added the HR ADI Seeded Integrator Forms Function menu
- Navigate to the Salary Management Screen
- Query up all employees
- Export the employee data by selecting the Export button on the toolbar
- Select the version of Excel to which you will be exporting the data and updating the salaries. DO NOT CHECK the reporting check box. Select NEXT button
- Wait for the template to generate and download the data. NOTE: You may need to click through a couple of prompts to enable the macros.
Enter new salaries
- Update the spreadsheet with the new proposed salaries for those employees that need to be updated. At a minimum the following fields should be populated to avoid errors. Note that as you update each record the Update column is flagged for automatic upload.
- Change Date
- Proposed Salary
- Proposal Reason (must be the actual lookup code and not the meaning)
- Save the template with your data. You will need to save it as a macro enabled workbook to retain all the macros (.xlsm)
Upload the data
- Be sure that you are currently logged in to Oracle HRMS
- From within the Excel template, open the “Add-Ins” menu and select “Oracle” and then “Upload”
- Select ‘Flagged Rows’ and ‘Validate Before Upload’ in the Upload Parameters window. Click Upload button.
- View errors or successful confirmation. If there are errors, return to the template and view the errors found in the Messages column
- Navigate to the Salary Management Screen in HRMS and query up all employees to confirm the updated employees have been updated.
Approve the salaries
Upon reviewing a few employee’s salaries you will see that the new salaries are still in a status of “Proposed” and not “Approved”. The HR Update Salary Proposals Integrator only enters the proposed salary. It does not approve the salaries. This will need to be done manually.
Once again, navigate to the salary management form and query up all employees. Select all employees and then click ‘Approve’ button. If an employee does not have a proposed salary then it will be ignored by the approval process.
- View the salary of the employees to confirm that they are in a status of “Approved”.
No comments yet
Cloud Computing CRM Managed Services OBIEE 11g Oracle-Essbase Oracle Business Intelligence Oracle EBS R12 Oracle Financials Oracle Hyperion Financial Management Oracle Hyperion Planning R12 Upgrades Supply Chain